Instructors and Advisors Help
View and Create Class Permission Numbers
Every term, permission numbers are created in batch by the Registrar’s Office. Permission numbers are used for instructor consent classes, over-enrollment and overriding requisites. Use this procedure to view existing permission numbers or to manually generate additional permission numbers when they are needed, for example, when a new section of a class is added after the batch process has been run, or when all existing permission numbers have been issued. You can also use this page to customize which requirements a permission number will override.
NOTE: Both instructors and administrative users with the appropriate user security have access to view and create permission numbers.
Class permission numbers can override:
- Closed Class: Allows a student to over enroll in a full course or take a reserve capacity seat.
- Requisites Not Met: Allows a student who does not meet the prerequisites or who has a credit restriction due to a previously taken course to register.
- Consent Required: Allows a student to enroll in a course that requires permission.
To obtain permission numbers for a class, login to the PeopleSoft Student Administration System and navigate to view and create permissions numbers by clicking:
- Self Service in the Menu, then Faculty Center.
The Faculty Center page displays with your class schedule for the current term.
- Click the permission number icon to the left of each class to view the permission numbers for that class. Because permission numbers are section specific, be sure to select the correct section for your course.
The General Info tab displays the following information: the Permission Number, the ID and Student Name (if the number has been used), Issued checkbox, Issued By, Issued Date, Status (Used or Not Used), Permission Use Date, and Expiration Date. As necessary, provide unused permission numbers to students seeking instructor consent, to override requisites, or to over-enroll in your course.
NOTE: If allowing over-enrollment in your class, take caution not to exceed the seating capacity of the classroom.
- To indicate you have issued a permission number to a student, click the Issued checkbox next to that permission number. After saving, your User ID appears in the Issued By field and today's date appears in the Issued Date field.
NOTE: The Issued checkbox assists in avoiding you and/or an administrative user issuing the same permission number to more than one student.
- Click the Permission tab if you wish to customize which requirements a permission number will override. Select or deselect the appropriate checkboxes.
- To delete a permission number, click the minus sign.
- Click the Comments tab if you wish to add notes regarding a specific permission number.
- To generate more permission numbers, in the Assign More Permissions field, enter the number of permission numbers you want and then click the Generate button.
NOTE: Instructors may also request additional permission numbers by telephoning the Registrar at(860) 486-3331. Law School instructors may telephone (860) 570-5142.
- IMPORTANT! Click the Save button at the bottom of the page if you made any of these changes:
- Selected the Issued By checkbox on the General Info page;
- Customized requirements for a permission number on the Permission page;
- Entered Comments on the Comments page;
- Deleted permission numbers from any of the pages.
- To download the list of Class Permission Numbers to Excel, click the Download icon.
NOTE: You must enable prompting for automatic downloads for this function to work properly. For Internet Explorer (IE) users, follow these steps if you have issues downloading the file:
- Open IE browser.
- Click Tools.
- Click Internet Options.
- Click the Security tab.
- Click the Custom Level button.
- Scroll down the list to ActiveX controls and plugins
- Under Allow previously unused Active X controls to run without prompt, click Enable.
- Scroll down the list to Downloads.
- Under Automatic prompting for file downloads, click Enable.
- Click OK. Click YES to the warning.
- Click OK again.
- Close browser.
- Save the file to your desktop where you can open and print it.