BGS Prior Course Approval
BGS students who plan to enroll in courses at another institution are required to complete the BGS Prior Course Approval. Consult with your BGS Advisor for assistance in course selection.
After logging in, navigate to Prior Course Approval by clicking:
- Self Service from the Main Menu, and then Student Center.
- Under the Academics section, click the My Academics link.
- The My Academics page displays. Click the Prior Course Approval link.
- The Prior Course Approval page displays with your academic career, program, and plan information. Note: if previously approved courses display, click the Plus button to begin a new request.
- Begin by entering the term code you wish to apply for. If you do not know what code to use, click the magnifying glass button next to the field to look it up.
- Enter the name of the College you plan to attend, the City, and State.
- Enter the name of the Subject. Use the subject name the school you plan to attend uses.
- Enter the School Course Number. Use the course number the school you plan to attend uses.
- Enter Y if the course you plan to take will be an online class. If the course will not be taught online, enter N.
NOTE: Transfer credit policies prohibit the award of transfer credit for laboratory sciences or foreign languages taught online.
- Enter the Course Title as it appears in that school's undergraduate catalog.
- Click the Plus button to add additional courses.
- When your requests are complete, click the Save and send email button.
An email is generated to the Bachelor of General Studies Office. Once your request is processed, you are notified via your UConn email account. Your advisor is also sent an email. Prior course approval requests take approximately 10 business days to process.
NOTE: Questions regarding how the transfer credit will eventually be applied towards specific degree requirements should be addressed directly with your academic advisor.
- After receiving notification, log into your PeopleSoft account and access your Prior Course Approval results by clicking: Self Service > Student Center > Academics > My Academics > Prior Course Approval
If you made multiple requests, scroll through the results of each request by clicking the arrow buttons to the right of the blue bar.
Courses not equivalent to a specific UConn course but still transferable are given a 5-digit generic designation beginning with the number 9.
NOTE: Once you have completed the approved course and met the basic requirements for eligibility of transfer credit, you must request that an official transcript be sent directly to your BGS office.
For additional details, access http://bgs.uconn.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/514/2014/11/course-approval-instructions.pdf.